I just left my English 1320 class. The topic of discussion today was surrounded by the question, "When do we leave our adolescent stage and enter into adulthood"? This question led to many different opinions from my classmates. Some said that a single experience such as a birthday or an educational graduation would provoke this transformation. Others mentioned this change could stem from becoming more independent; having to accept the responsibilities that require a higher level of maturity. A well paying job or living on your own were examples of this.
As the class progressed I began to wander into my life, thinking upon the people who meet my personal criteria of what an “adult” looks like. Growing up, my standard for an adult was someone who could legally drive a car or pay the utility bills. A few years in college though has totally changed my perspective. I do believe that becoming independent and having a good work ethic does help achieve a higher level of maturity, but is that all that separates adults from adolescent? As I was filtering through these people in my life I started thinking of the experiences they had endured, and lets face it, everybody has to endure what life brings at some point in time. To my own surprise though I do not feel like it is the circumstance or the outcome of a situation that determines who a person is. I think it is how we as people respond to life, either making the choice that is best for our personal interest or choosing what is best for the situation at hand. In those decisions, regardless of the outcome, proves to me a person who is deserving of the title adult or not. I think true adulthood is earned not through an elaborate resume, but through the respect of others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That can be understandable.
ReplyDelete